SITUATION UPDATE: SEPTEMBER 17
As of 11 a.m. today:
More data are available online at covid19.ncdhhs.gov/dashboard.
- After several weeks of stable COVID-19 trends and continued low virus spread in school settings, Governor Roy Cooper today announced that beginning on October 5, North Carolina public school districts and charter schools can choose to implement Plan A for elementary schools (grades K-5). Plan A continues to include important safety measures like face coverings for all students, teachers and staff, social distancing, and symptom screening, but does not require schools to reduce the number of children in the classroom. Read more.
- The North Carolina Department of Health and Human Services announced its selection of an additional vendor, Optum Serve, to continue surging COVID-19 testing capacity in the state. These new community testing sites build on North Carolina’s ongoing work to increase access to testing and slow viral spread in key locations, including the previously-announced surge of additional testing capacity in seven counties. Read more.
- NCDHHS has received five years of funding from the CDC to partner with Federally Qualified Health Centers (FQHCs) to increase colorectal cancer screenings, particularly among underserved communities in North Carolina. The funding is especially important during COVID-19 as national colorectal cancer screening rates have declined 86 percent due to the pandemic. Read more.
- Health officials with NCDHHS are urging North Carolina residents to protect themselves, their families and those around them by getting vaccinated against Influenza as the state enters flu season amid the COVID-19 pandemic. Read more.
- NCDHHS has been awarded a $35 million State Opioid Response (SOR) grant from the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA). The funds are especially vital as the COVID-19 pandemic has made it more difficult for some individuals to access treatment for substance use disorder, prompting a spike in opioid overdoses. Read more.
Are you looking for a shipping solution? Maybe you need to change freight carriers? Find out what the hard working and reliable people at Team Worldwide can do over land, sea and air